Pig iron is an intermediate product of the iron industry, also known as crude iron, which is obtained by smelting iron ore in a blast furnace.
1. Can be worked into wrought iron in forges.
2. Can be used to produce gray iron.
3. Some pig iron grades are suitable for producing ductile iron.
There are three types of merchant pig iron:
1. Basic pig iron – This is used in the electric arc furnace for the purpose of steel making.
2. Foundry pig iron – This type of pig iron is also known as haematite pig iron and is used in cupola furnaces for grey iron castings.
3. High purity pig iron – This is synonymous with nodular pig iron and is used for producing ductile iron castings, which is also known as SG or Spheroidal Graphite.